Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Face Fronting Normality

Sade' Brown
Word Count: 294


Wear your hair like this!”
“Dress like me!”
“Talk like this!”
“Look over here! No look over here!” 
“You could gain few pounds! You look so thin!”

“Why do you wear those clothes?”
“Who told you that was cute?”
“What's that thing in your nose?”
“Natural?! Girl you need a perm!”
“You're so weird!”

     I've never been much for the in crowd but I always find my way in. I sought to find my own identity, find my inner me, and stick it to the man...well my father that is. No matter what I fought my way to be myself but I admit it has been a struggle. Everyone goes through a period in life when you actually want to be like someone you consider cool and popular. Even I was swayed at one point, I just wanted to be known for having nice clothes, a cute face, and good hair. I wanted people to respect me for what I had and not for whom I was but it never fit the person I was destined to be. 
     So I begin to find read about issues that really matter to me, talk to people that intrigued me, wear the clothes that made me feel comfortable, and go natural. I've actually gained more by being myself than I did by trying to be someone else. Although there's something that we all share in common, celebrating the difference is what makes life more interesting. So to all my afro-punk, rebels without a cause, freedom fighters, skaters, b-boys (or girls), plus size wears, I really don't know what you're talking about, techno loving, hippies, non-conformist....this is for you.

“Conformity is the new individuality”....step outside the box.

(This story demonstrates how I've dealt with issues of conformity and self-identity.)

1 comment:

  1. I really liked your digital story. I thought it was funny and interesting. Something that is going to make your digital story more efficient is not only telling but showing with your pictures or video clips.

    ReplyDelete